Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mickey Mouse Died

True story. I needed to run errands tonight while the girls were in gymnastics. Ali came to stay with the three younger kiddos. When I returned home, Justin wasn't feeling well and was cuddled in with Ali. Ali and I were talking and I looked and Sophie, or Soapy as Meg calls her, and she had perched herself on the couch. There was something curious in her mouth. It took a nanosecond for me to realize what that something could be. I yelled. I jumped up. I ran to the corner (strange but true). I put my head between my knees because my world was beginning to blacken. Sophie was going in and out of the garage while I brought in groceries, and she caught herself a mouse. She could not understand why I wasn't proud of her. When the kids realized there was a dead mouse on the couch, each had a unique reaction. Annie split, Emma started problem solving, Justin could care less, Jake worried, and Megan wanted to talk about it. "Oh, Mickey Mouse died", she kept saying. Ali did what anyone would do. She grabbed the camera. I gathered my courage and A LOT of paper towels to gather up the mouse to run it to the garbage. Emma, in all her wisdom brought the garbage to me. Wise, because I surely would have shrieked and thrown the mouse somewhere between point A and point B. Past experience tells me I probably would have thrown the mouse at an innocent child. The mouse barely made it to the garbage. I rushed it outside. Ali disinfected the couch. We washed our hands and I remained jittery the rest of the night. BAD DOG SOAPY!




3 comments:

Mark, Stacy, & Jack said...

What an exciting story-i love the pics.

kerstin said...

Those pictures are priceless! I love it! :)

Unknown said...

I heard about Mickey Mouse this morning on the way to school. I had to check it out. Funny stuff! What a brave Mom (I don't care how jittery you were or how loud the screams). Mice = yuk.