Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Oh, Jake


Sometime last week Jake was playing at Garretts (shocking, I know). The kids have been putting together a very creative fort on the back of the Garrett's property. Late in the afternoon I got a call from Keri that Jake had stepped on a nail. I went over and brought him home and called the pediatrician. The nail had gone through his Crocs and into the arch of his foot. The doctor's office told me he ad just had his tetanus shot and to wash the wound with soap and water. Very uncharacteristic of himself, Jake allowed me to clean it really well and then he crawled from place to place the rest of the evening. I didn't give the incident another thought...until Sunday.

I walked out of the piano room just in time to see Jake thump Justin. I sent Jake to time out and Megan went instead. When I got the right child in the corner, noticed a straight red line, about two inches long headed out of the nail wound. I got on the phone with the pediatrician who told us to get to the ER, Jake had blood poisoning.

Thank heavens for Amber. She was on her way to stay with the other kids before I could even finish telling her the details. Since Jake was feeling just fine, he thought the trip into and visit to the ER was a party. The party ended though when he had to start taking medicine. Oh, how he hates medicine!

We followed up yesterday with the pediatrician and Jake is healing wonderfully and shouldn't have any other complications as long as he keeps his foot clean and takes that darn medicine! Any volunteers to come try and shoot it down his throat? I should warn you, he does vomit on the medicine giver from time to time.

No comments: